Sunday 11 June 2017

Not all diets are created equal

In an attempt to obtain optimum health and a much needed performance boost I became a vegetarian . I was hooked after searching through the internet to find that a vegetarian diet would come with some benefits.

These benefits include weight loss, more energy and being clear minded. If I wasn't already buying into it my friend, who is a vegetarian, had me convinced to go vegetarian. I later came to regret following that advice.

As I write this I realise why she convinced to go vegetarian: misery loves company. She's a vegetarian out of necessity rather than choice.

The diet did in fact result in weight loss, but one of the draw backs was that after my prolonged exercising sessions ( 4 days of boxing plus 4 days of running) I had muscles that were always stiff and sore. This was caused by consuming little to no protein at all.

I also felt hungry almost all the time, despite having a higher food intake.

The much vaunted energy benefits were also nowhere to be found as i was flat most of the time which affected the rest of my day. That's when I threw in the towel nobody is meant to live like this.

Humans evolved through a diet of eating mostly meat and we're omnivores, there's no need to do something so counterproductive as only eating from one side of the aisle.

If you're considering switching to vegan or vegetarian diet for health reasons, rather try diversifying your diet with equal helpings of meat and vegetables. Add some healthy fats and fruits in there and you'll be all set.

That being said I  learned a few things in my
foray into the landmine riddden world of diets. The most important of which is that being a vegan or vegetarian is expensive and most of the preparation is annoying. Also giving up meat is a nightmare and if we weren't meant eat meat then why on God's green earth would it taste so good?

No comments:

Post a Comment